Factors to Consider for Workplace First Aid Training
Workplace first aid training is something that must not be taken lightly. Read on to find out why workplace first aid training is essential and how to implement solid workplace first aid practices.
Why is workplace first aid training important?
Short answer: Workplace first aid training will ensure the safety of yourself, your employees and your customers by minimizing the response time in case of an emergency.
- Workplace first aid training will make sure that trained personnel and necessary equipment are available for use at your workplace.
- In minor incidents, this will save you from a trip to the doctor.
- In severe cases, solid workplace first-aid practices will minimize reaction times, thereby preventing these situations from escalating further.
Are there any courses for workplace first-aid training?
Many courses are available nowadays for workplace first aid training. When it comes to workplace first aid training, these service providers offer you the option of customizing your courses in the following ways.
- Modules included
- You can customize these courses to cater to the most common workplace hazards you might endure in your workplace.
- Depending on your need, these courses can be conducted either online or on-site.
Some of the organizations offering first aid courses in Australia include,
- St. John's Ambulance Australia
- Royal Life Saving Society Australia
- Australian Red Cross
These organizations offer courses that will cover your 360 first aid needs. These courses include,
- CPR Courses
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is an important segment of workplace first aid training that helps revive a casualty that is not breathing normally.
- It can be a life-saving technique till an ambulance arrives.
- The Safe Work Australia First Aid in the Workplace Model Code of Practice requires employers to make sure that nominated first-aiders should be refreshed on their knowledge of first-aid. Accordingly, refresher training in CPR should be carried out every 12 months, while first aid qualifications must be renewed every three months.
- Basic Emergency Life Support
- An introductory course offering knowledge on a broad spectrum of areas.
- First aid in education or care setting
- This course will equip your workers with the knowledge to carry out first aid on infants, children and adults.
- These courses apply to early childhood workers and educators who often deal with school-age children outside school hours and in vacation programs.
- These courses also include modules where employees will be trained to respond to asthma and anaphylactic emergencies.
Available First Aid Templates
First aid templates are crucial to review and ensure that the first aid practices at your workplace are working properly.
Why should you use first-aid templates?
- First-aid templates will make reviewing your first-aid practices easier.
- Having a customizable first aid template will help you review changes that take place in first aid practices when workplace settings change.
The following first aid template issued by the Government of Queensland will offer you a comprehensive idea of templates for workplace first aid training.
What are the guidelines for planning first aid for the workplace?
When conducting workplace first aid training, you must be mindful of the following factors.
- Nature of the work being carried out at the workplace
- Nature of the hazards at the workplace
- The size, location and nature of the workplace
- The number and composition of workers at the workplace
Nature of work being carried out at the workplace
Certain work environments are capable of posing higher risks of injury to their employees.
- For example, employees at a construction site are much more prone to injuries than employees at a library.
The nature of the work being carried out at the workplace must also be taken into consideration.
- In a restaurant, employees and customers are much more likely to have cut and burn injuries, while workers at a construction site are much more likely to face conditions such as dehydration.
When planning for workplace first aid, you must also assess previous hazards and near-miss accidents faced by the employees of the company.
- Remember to check the Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for any hazardous chemicals that are handled, used or stored at your workplace. The SDS provides information about the chemical, possible health effects, controls that may be used to reduce exposure and first aid requirements.
Size and Location of the Workplace
When it comes to workplace first aid training and the size and location of the workplace, you must be mindful of the following factors.
- The distance between different work areas
- The response times for emergency services
Note: First aid equipment must be located in and around areas where there is a high risk of injury or illness occurring.
If it is a large workplace, you should install several first-aid kits for several reasons.
- Work being carried out a long distance from emergency services
- Small numbers of workers dispersed over a large area
- Access to a part of the workplace is difficult
- The workplace has more than one-floor level
Note: Additional first aid measures will be required for workers in remote or isolated areas. For example, aerial evacuation might be needed due to poor road conditions around the workplace.
The number of workers and the composition of other people
When considering the size of your workforce, you should be mindful of the following personnel in addition to your employees.
To perform optimal workforce first aid training, be prepared for the maximum number of individuals that may be present at your venue at any given time. A larger workforce requires more first-aid resources.
Note: When it comes to workforce first aid planning, don't forget employees with special needs or others at your workplace, such as customers.
Workplace First Aid Planning Requirements
Workplace first aid planning mainly revolves around two segments.
- First Aid Kits
- Personnel training and reviews
First Aid Kits
All employees at your workplace must be able to access a first aid kit. When designing these first aid kits, be sure to include remedies for the following common ailments.
- Cuts, scratches, punctures, grazes and splinters
- Muscular sprains and strains
- Minor burns
- Amputations and/or major bleeding wounds
- Eye injuries
- Broken bones
Furthermore, include whatever is necessary following a risk assessment of the workplace.
For example, if the employees are prone to eye injuries, additional provisions must be included to take care of those.
Location of Kits
When placing first aid kits, be mindful to place them so that all employees can access one at any time. If the workplace spans several floors, include at least one kit on every floor.
Design of Kits
- Kits must be large enough to contain all the necessary items.
- They must be marked with international signs to make them easy to identify.
- Kits must be resistant to water and dust.
Restocking and maintaining kits
Nominate one person or several people as required to take care of these first aid kits.
First Aid Signs
First aid signs will be crucial to conveying necessary first aid information in the least possible time. For a comprehensive guide on first aid signs, check out our article on first aid signs here.
How often should these safety measures be reviewed?
Safety measures must be reviewed at least once a year to ensure that they are working and up to date. If the settings of the workplace change, additional reviews must be conducted to alter the safety measures to fit the new settings.
How many first aid facilities are needed per workplace?
Basic first aid facilities include first aid kits and telephone facilities to contact emergency services. However, if the workplace consists of over 200 low-risk workers or 100 high-risk workers, it is recommended to be equipped with a dedicated first aid room.
Workplace first aid training is an essential segment in ensuring workplace safety. Implementing solid workplace safety practices, along with regular reviews, will help you establish a safe workplace for your employees and customers.
LOOKING FOR A FIRST AID KIT?
Answer a few simple questions and we'll suggest a First Aid KIT to suit your needs!TAKE THE QUIZ